Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A New Chapter Begins...

It's been almost three years since I added the title of Mommy to my resume. And though I knew it would change my life I could never have anticipated the wondrous, chaotic, emotional, challenging, exhausting and beautiful journey it has been. My angel has gone from helpless infant to chubby baby to troublesome toddler to inquisitive preschooler. Yep, I said it -- preschooler. She takes that big step next week when she starts preschool. Let's not get it twisted, she's only going to be in school three-and-a-half hours a day two days a week. Not quite like we're sending her off to boarding school or anything, but still a big deal. It's not like this will be her first social experience. We've done baby boot camp, music class, playgroup and such. But it's always been her and I -- together. A package deal. Now she's stepping out on her own and I couldn't be more thrilled. Or more nervous. Or more emotional. I know she is ready and I know it will be wonderful for her (and for me!) to venture out on her own even if it is only for a few hours a week. It's the beginning of her finding her path and learning how to navigate it without me buffering her every move.

The good news is it's only preschool! We still have so many other firsts ahead of us. First sleepover. First best friend -- first fight with best friend. First win -- first loss. First heartbreak. And firsts I can't begin to imagine or anticipate. But I look forward to them. The good and the bad, the easy and the hard, the joy and the pain. The story of her life is just beginning. And I can't wait to see what the next chapter holds -- for both of us. So far, it's been a fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment