Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Open Letter to My Republican Friends

Dear Friends,

I know how you feel today. It is near impossible not to get swept up – at least a little bit – in the heady patriotism that overtakes us all every four or eight years when we witness the peaceful exchange of leadership of our country. Even when it’s not your guy or gal who emerged the victor and stands before us all to take the oath of office, it takes a cold heart not to be captured by the pageantry and sense of history that is evoked on Inauguration Day.

I understand that mix of emotions. Eight years ago, I watched with bittersweet pride as George W. Bush took the oath of office. I did not vote for him. I did not like the policies he proposed during his campaign. I did not like what he stood for and I was apprehensive about the direction he would take the country. But when the clock struck noon on that January Day in 2001, I supported him. Despite the controversy, our democratic process had resulted in his election as President and I supported him. I put my faith and trust in him and the office he swore to protect and putting my apprehension aside, I claimed him as my president.

When the unthinkable occurred on Sept. 11, I looked to him for strength and leadership. And I supported him. When he vowed revenge on those who had devastated the lives of thousands of Americans, I nodded my head in agreement. And I supported him. When he ordered our service men and women to war in Afghanistan, I supported him. I protested going to war in Iraq but once he made the call as our Commander-in-Chief, I supported him. That is what Americans do.

I did my best to support President Bush for as long as I could. It wasn’t until I felt that the trust and faith I had put in him had been abused and cast aside, that I stopped supporting him. When my dissention became reason to be called un-American, I could no longer support him. I will always respect the office but how could I support the man who had clearly stated that if I wasn’t with him, I was against him. It is sad day when Americans are chastized for speaking their minds when it is that type of discourse that makes America unique.

But today is a new Inauguration Day. And like it is every four or eight years, this day marks a new beginning. A clean slate and a chance to lead America and its citizens to the greatness possible only in our amazing country. So, I ask my Republican friends to do their best and support our new President. Give him a chance. Let him give you a reason to lose your faith and trust before you take it from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment