Tuesday, August 17, 2010

When You See Someone in Need, Do You Help or Keep Going?

So I am totally hooked on Jon Quinones show "What Would You Do?" on ABC. The different scenarios they present are fascinating as are the varied responses of the unknowing participants. I'm constantly amazed at how often the first people to get involved in righting a perceived wrong are women. It's like being a woman gives us an invisible cloak that we think protects us from those who might do us harm. It's awesome! And watching this show has changed how I look at things around me and in my own community.

Last week, I was at a local park with my exercise class and while we were running up a hill during sprints, we saw a young boy (maybe 8 years old) alone and sitting on the curb with his head buried in his lap. We all ran our lap and every one of us noticed him but initially no one did anything. I started to follow suit but suddenly something in me snapped and I thought, "What if this little boy is lost or needs help? And what if my daughter were one day in the same spot? Wouldn't I want someone another mom to see if she could help?" The other moms were kind of shocked when I walked over to the boy and asked where his family was and if he needed help. One hung near me, covering my back I think. Turns out the boy's family was fishing at the river just a bit away and for some reason he got mad and wandered off. I followed him back to his family who looked both relieved to see him and a bit frustrated and embarassed that he'd wandered off.

This park isn't in the best part of town, in fact, there are quite a few homeless people there and just days before a report of a sexual assault. Maybe that had something to do with our hesitancy to get involved but when I thought about it later, did that really matter? No. That boy needed a bit of help and I'm so glad I provided it. It was a good lesson to me that we can't be afraid to get involved. We are a community and that means looking out for each other. I know that the next time I see someone in need, I'm going to stop and help. Would you?

5 comments:

  1. I really try and help because I would want someone to help me out and it's just the right thing to do.

    Please join my ning community. Joy of giving birth, first 30 people to join this week get their badges posted on main page for a month. There are still about 20 spots left. You join my community and I automatically follow your blog too.

    Plus feature spots are being hosted for all members to be profiled one week on main page.

    PLEASE stop through http://www.joyofgivingbirth.ning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone agrees that it takes a village and sometimes I wonder where the village is. You did the right thing and modeled good behavior for all of us. Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie -- you are so right! Let's bring back the village! It felt good to reach out and it's the kind of example I want to set for my daughter. Amazing how I think so much about doing the right thing now that a little pair of eyes are watching my every move!

    Thanks Tomica...going to try and join your community right now (I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'll give it a shot!). Pretty new the whole blog/Twitter thing but am having fun learning and connecting with so many new people!

    ReplyDelete