Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twilight -- Team Edward!

So it took me awhile to catch the fever but I am officially a Twilight nut. I read all of the books in about a week and even went to see the latest movie on opening weekend. But what I find fascinating about this whole phenomenon is not that women and girls are nutso for this story -- face it ladies, most of us are a bunch of romantic saps at heart -- but how the whole Team Edward and Team Jacob things really falls along generational lines. I have yet to meet an adult Twilight fan who isn't on Team Edward, just as I have yet to encounter a teen who doesn't drool at the mention of Jacob's name. I think the divide says a lot about how women view love at different stages in life. As adults, we are drawn to the purity of Edward's love for Bella and the idea that he loves her so much that he would do anything to protect her and keep her safe even if that means leaving her or stepping back so she can explore her feelings for Jacob. While I admire Jacob's abs -- seriously, they are impressive! -- I am totally turned off by his demands and attempts at controlling Bella. He's a bully, a manipulator and childish in his relationship with Bella. And teenage girls find all of it extremely appealing. For all of the danger surrounding Edward, he never tries to manipulate Bella and her feelings. In fact, he spends a great deal of time and effort to give her the space and freedom to make her own choice. That's what real men do. And apparently it takes women growing past the age of 20 to understand the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment